While there isn't an actual SMSTS card, your SMSTS certificate can be added to your CSCS (Construction Skills Certification Scheme) card to show additional experience to the qualifications CSCS asks for.
The CSCS card was brought in to provide a universal system among different organisations to quickly determine employees' level of proficiency and responsibility in construction scenarios. It was designed as a way of reducing accidents because most fatal workplace injuries happen on construction sites.
It is thought that the best way to lower the number of accidents is through training everyone to the same standard. This way, all employers know exactly what to look for when recruiting new staff. Your card demonstrates you have the appropriate knowledge to work on a building site so you are not put at risk. The level of card you possess ensures you are not placed outside of your professional limits.
A CSCS card is necessary for all site workers and comes in various types, each determining the level of work you are allowed to do. For example, a CSCS Green Card means you have basic health and safety knowledge while a CSCS black card indicates you hold a managerial position.
The card will need renewing within a certain period of time. The maximum length is five years, however it's as well to check in case it expires sooner.
The CITB HS&E Test
- The test covers areas of construction health and safety that you should be aware of before you start work.
- The test lasts 45 minutes.
- There are 50 multiple-choice questions.
- Your HS&E certificate will need renewing after two years if you forget to apply for your CSCS card.
- You will need to re-sit your health, safety and environment test when you renew your card.1
- If you upgrade your card, you have to redo the HS&E test after two years of passing it.2
(1) Example: I take my test in 2017. It will expire in 2019 if I don’t apply for a card. If I do apply for a card, I won’t need to retake my test until 2022 when the card expires.
(2) Example: I take my test in 2017. I apply for a card. In 2018 I apply for a different card. I have to sit the test again in 2019.
What CSCS card can I get with an SMSTS certificate?
An SMSTS certificate will not be enough to permit you a CSCS card as there is no such thing as an SMSTS card or SMSTS CSCS card.
Then How Do I get my CSCS Card?
The NVQ evidences your skills for carrying out your daily tasks effectively. It also accredits your knowledge of the health and safety implications associated with your work. Your assessor will guide you through this process so you have all the right information in your portfolio to progress to the next level.
We provide health & safety and construction NVQ courses nationwide.
CSCS Gold Supervisor Card
A CSCS Gold Card can be obtained with one of the following:
- NVQ Level 3 Diploma in Occupational Work Supervision
- NVQ Level 4 Diploma in Construction Site Supervision
- NVQ Level 3 Certificate in Health & Safety.
CSCS Black Manager Card
A CSCS Black Card can be obtained with one of the following:
- NVQ Level 6 Diploma in Construction Site Management
- NVQ Level 6 Diploma in Construction Contracting Operations Management
- NVQ Level 7 Diploma Construction Senior Management
- NVQ Level 5 Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety Practice
- NVQ Level 6 Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety Practice.